” Life is incomplete without Water,
Summers are incomplete without Watermelon! “
Common facts about Watermelon:
Watermelon, which is scientifically known as Citrullus lanatus, belongs to kingdom Plantae, domain type Eukaryota, is a flowering plant species of Cucurbitaceae family. It is generally grown in the climate ranging from tropical to temperate regions worldwide. In India, it is mostly grown in the Northern region due to it’s favorable climate, however, watermelon is also grown in various other southern and western parts of India also. It is a fruit with green top thick layer of peel protecting its internal edible red part also known as watermelon flesh, which is full of water and black seeds spread throughout its edible portion. Watermelon is highly cultivated throughout the world with various varieties. According to the census of 2020, China is the leading producer of watermelon with almost 60% of the total production of watermelon in the world, followed by Turkey, India, Iran, Algeria and Brazil. Uttar Pradesh, in India, is the highest producer of Watermelon with the annual production of about 706.65 tons followed by Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Orissa, West Bengal, Madhya Pradesh, Haryana, Maharashtra and Jharkhand. There are more than 50 varieties of Watermelons all over the world, of which, Cave City is the sweetest types of watermelon which is grown locally and the most produced type of watermelon. Every year, Watermelon day is celebrated on August 3 for spreading the importance of Watermelon in our daily life and for spreading the alertness of living a healthy and prosperous life free from diseases among the people.
Benefits of Watermelon:
• Rich in Vitamin A and C:
Vitamin A is fat soluble vitamin which helps in keeping our body free from extra unwanted fats. It is important for the normal functioning of our eye (keeps our eye-sight good), immune system and reproductive parts. It regulates our heart, lungs and kidneys.
Vitamin C is needed by the body due to various reasons. It helps in growing and repairing of our body tissues. Vitamin C makes and important protein known as Collagen which makes our skin glowing, helps in normal functioning of ligaments, tendons and blood vessels. It is also helpful in heeling wound and scars tissues.
• Keeps body Hydrated:
Watermelon is a special kind of fruit which is full of water from inside. Thus having it in our regular diet helps in regulating the normal water level in our body and keeps our body hydrated during summers, thus, prevents us from falling unconscious during hot weather.
• Healthy Skin:
Watermelon is not important for the normal functioning of our only, but it is also helpful in keeping our outer skin healthy, which in turn helps in regulating the beauty. Having watermelon in our daily diet keeps skin glowing, moisturized, shiny and healthy. As mentioned earlier, it is due to the presence of Vitamin C which is required for the production of protein Collagen in our body.
• Prevents from various Heart and lungs diseases:
As mentioned earlier, Watermelon is the rich source of Vitamin A also, which helps in regulating the normal functioning of our internal and sensitive organs like Heart, lungs, and keeps them healthy, thus prevents us from Cardiac Arrest, Heart attack and lungs problems. It is also sometimes helpful in preventing us from kidney failure, thus, keeps our body safe from various dangerous diseases.
• Low Calories:
Watermelon is watery from inside, thus, is low in calories, due to which it is highly recommended by the doctors for obese people and people with cholesterol problems, prevents us from extra unwanted fats as it is free of fat, thus, healthy in all aspects for obese people.
Though Watermelon is healthy for our body in various aspects, but it is correctly said that excess of anything is bad. Excess of Watermelon without the consultation of doctors can cause various health hazards which sometimes could proved to be even dangerous for life, as it can cause life time diseases.
– Having Watermelon in our regular diet without taking care of our body type, whether it would be able to consume those vitamins, minerals and nutrition or not, sometimes proved to be dangerous for our health. Watermelon also contains Lycopene Potassium, which, if consumed more than the proper proportion as needed by the body, could proved to be harmful for our health as consumption of more than 30mg of lycopene daily can cause various harmful diseases like Nausea, diarrhea, indigestion and bloating sometimes.
– Watermelon if consumed more than enough can also cause increase in Blood Sugar Level, thus body would be more prone to Diabetes, as it contains Glycemic contents, which could proved to be harmful for our health.
– Watermelon can increase risk of liver inflammation due to the presence of lycopene, which if is consumed by an alcoholic person, lycopene would react with alcohol, thus, increases the risk of liver inflammation.
– Excess of Watermelon can also cause Water Intoxication, which means over hydration which happens when body gains excess of water than it needed. It can also cause decrease in sodium level in our body. If it is not taken care, then over hydration may lead to excess of water in various parts of our body, thus, would be the reason for swelling in various body parts like legs, hands and so on, also sometimes weakens our kidney.
– We should avoid the intake of Watermelon at night because at night, according to Ayurveda, our digestive system is not that much active as it is in day time, which can cause constipation and diarrhea. Watermelon is rich source of sugar, which if taken at night, can cause easily weight gain. It is not friendly to our digestive system at night, thus, can cause irritable bowel syndrome.
Our digestive system is inactive at night, so we should avoid eating acidic and sugary food at night as much as we can.
Thus, we should have Watermelon in our diet, but only in a fixed proportion so that, it could be fruitful to have a fruit like Watermelon, so that we could only gain it’s benefits not it’s disadvantages.
So we have came through the various pros and cons of watermelon. But now let’s have a look over one of the important components of Watermelon, its seeds. When we talk about watermelon, we come across various questions about the seeds. Are watermelon seeds healthy for us? or Do they affect our health?
Watermelon seeds are the rich source of various nutrients, thus, healthy for us in one way. They are also the good source of blood sugar level controller. It is the rich source of Magnesium, which is enough for a day to keep ourselves healthy.
Watermelon seeds are rich source of proteins, vitamins, minerals, omega 3, omega 6, fatty acid, magnesium, zinc, copper, potassium etc. It has high calories, so one should take care of his health and body type before having watermelon seeds in his diet. one cup of dry watermelon seeds contains about 600 calories.
Benefits of Watermelon Seeds:
Beneficial for Skin:
Watermelon seeds are beneficial for our skin, as they are rich source of omega 3 and omega 6, potassium and magnesium. Watermelon seeds prevent dullness, outbreaks acne, keeps skin moisturized, glowing and shiny.
Watermelon seeds are rich source of Omega 3 and Omega 6, which plays a major role in increasing our eye-sight, they also keeps our heart healthy.
Beneficial for Hairs:
Watermelon seeds are rich source of protein, iron, magnesium and some other essential nutrients which are beneficial for our hairs, so they helps in the growth of hairs, helps in keeping our hair shiny, black and increases hair volume.
Controls blood sugar level:
Watermelon seeds controls blood sugar level by reducing the insulin level in our body, thus, good for diabetic patients.
Increases energy level:
Watermelon seeds contains high calories which come from fatty acids, that kicks our metabolism level, thus, boosts our energy.
Strengthening of Bones:
Having dry watermelon seeds in our diet according to the recommendation of doctor, keeping our body type in our mind, can help in strengthening of our bones, thus, prevents early deterioration of bones. Thus, we can say that Watermelon seeds helps in preventing us from Osteoporosis.
Frequently asked Questions:-
1. Which type of Vitamins and minerals are found in Watermelon?
Ans- Watermelon is the rich source of Vitamin A and C, Potassium or Lycopene and some sorts of Magnesium.
2. Does Watermelon help obese to reduce fat?
Ans- Yes. Watermelon is highly recommended by the doctors to obese people or the people who want to lose fat, it is so because it has low calories.
3. Can we have Watermelon at night?
Ans- Eating Watermelon at night is not healthy because at night, our digestive system does not work properly, Watermelon has sugar, which, in this case, can cause fat.
4. Is Watermelon good for skin?
Ans- Yes. Watermelon is a rich source of Vitamin C, which forms a protein known as Collagen. Collagen keeps our skin glowing, nourished and moisturized during summers.
5. Which country is the leading producer of Watermelon?
Ans- According to the census of 2020, China is the leading producer of Watermelon, with about 60% of the total production of Watermelon, followed by Turkey, India, Iran and so on.
6. Are Watermelon seeds healthy for our skin?
Ans- Yes. Watermelon seeds are healthy in various aspects, they contain omega, potassium, magnesium and many more essential nutrients which are required by our skin to remain healthy. Oil of Watermelon seeds blocks our skin pores, thus, create a protective layer on our skin, which outbreaks acne, keeps skin moisturized and glowing.
7. Is it healthy to have dry seeds of watermelon in our daily diet?
Ans- It depends on one’s body type. Though Watermelon seeds are healthy in one way, it can be unhealthy in other way. They are high in calories, potassium and other nutrients, which if taken more than enough, can cause various medical issues. So, we should have Watermelon only according to the need, keeping in view of our health conditions.
8. In how many ways are Watermelon seeds helpful for an individual?
Ans- Watermelon seeds are helpful in various aspects. They keep our body healthy, keep our heart strong, thus, prevent cardiovascular system, helps in increasing our eye sight, helps in proper growth of hairs, prevents osteoporosis, makes skin glowing and healthy and so on.