Dates Common Facts:-
Dates, scientifically known as Phoenix dactylifera, is a fruit from Palm Family Arecaceae. Dates are widely cultivated across northern Africa, middle east, south Asia, and is naturalized in many tropical and subtropical regions worldwide. These species have been cultivated in middle East and the Indus Valley for the thousands of years. These species are generally grown in arid and semi-arid regions, characterized by long and hot summers, no rainfall and very low humidity during the time of ripening. Egypt is the world’s leading producer of dates followed by Iran, Algeria, Saudi Arabia, and UAE. Egypt’s total production of dates is approximately 1,603,762 tonnes annually.
Dates are the species of kingdom Plantae, genus Phoenix. Average height of the tree of dates is 30 metres (100ft), and is single root system. It’s approximate age is over 100 years. Date fruit is Oval-cylindrical in shape with the length of about 3-7cm and diameter of about 2.5cm Or 1 inch. It’s color varies from bright red to yellow.
Dates are sweet in taste with sugar content of about 61-68% and also are enjoyed as desert.
Calorie content of dry dates are higher and compared to wet dates.
Fiber- 7 gram
Protein- 2 gram
Potassium- 20% of RDI
Magnesium- 14% of RDI
Copper- 18% of RDI
Mangnese- 15% of RDI
Iron- 5% of RDI
Vitamin B6- 12% of RDI
Types of Dates:-
Many types of dates are available globally, but people are not aware of those types. Let’s have a look over the various types of dates:
Omani dates are generally considered as one of the best types of dates which are generally bigger in size. They are dark brown in color. The origin of Omani dates are from Oman, Middle East. They contain juice in themselves and are very sweet in taste with sugar content of about 65%.
Mazafati Dates are also one of the important types of dates having size of about 2.5-4cm. They are quite dark brown in color. These species of dates are originated from Bam, a city in Kerman, Iran. It has a soft taste of caramel, brown sugar and chocolate.
Medjool dates are larger in size and have fibrous texture. It also comes in reddish brown color. These species of dates are majorly cultivated in Morocco, Palestine, Jordan and Saudi Arabia. They are soft in touch and sweet in taste.
These dates are bigger in size, oval in shape and comes in approximate 2-5cm of length. They are semi-dried dates and have dark brown to black color. These species of dates are grown in the Persian Gulf and middle East areas. These species have unique taste of toffee and caramel.
Barhi Dates are smaller in size of about 2cm in length and 3-4cm in diameter and have approximate oval shape. These dates come in yellow color. Their origin is believed to be from Iran. These are the sweetest and creamiest dates.
Deglet Nour Dates
Deglet Nour Dates are medium sized dates and have narrow body with elongated oval shape. These dates are found in dark golden brown color. These species of dates are believed to be originated from the oasis of Tolga and neighbouring areas of Biskra in Algeria. They are soft, meaty and sweet in taste.
Thoory Dates are sized from medium to large and are oblong in shape. These dates have golden brown color. Their origin is believed to be from Algeria and are most famous types of dates there. These species of dates are quite dry, semi-sweet and have peanut like nutty flavor.
These are the type of dates that are sized from medium to large and have soft and red skin. These are quite unique type of dates in terms of texture. When these dates are ripened, they turn amber from red and then again turn golden brown after being stored in. Their origin is also believed to be from Iraq. They are soft, heavy, and sweet in taste.
These dates varies from 12-22 grams, with and oval and elongated shape. They are light to dark brown in color. They are also believed to be originated from Iraq. These are moderate sweet in taste.
It is a small to date fruit with delicate and pale flesh. They come in golden brown texture. Their origin is believed to be from Mesopotamia. They are soft and have honey like taste.
These are medium sized dates round in shape. They are dark black cherry in color with slight brownie texture. Their origin is from Madinah, Saudi Arabia. These dates are quite sweet in taste.
Khudri is one of the most important variety of dates that have flakes in their skin. It comes both in small and large size. They come in dark brown color. These species of dates are bring widely cultivated in Saudi Arabia. They are moderately sweet, chewy and quite juicy.
Zahidi Dates are medium sized and oval in shape. They have light brown texture with a thick, golden inner flesh. These species of dates are cultivated in northern Iraq. These are nutty dates that quite tastes like peanut butter and some sorts of dried apricots.
Kalmi Dates are one of the type of Safawi Dates. They are small in size and cylindrical in shape. These species of dates have dark black texture. Their origin is believed to be from Oman but are being cultivated in Madinah, Saudi Arabia also. These are of usual dates flavor enriched in sweetness.
Benefits of Dates:-
(benefits of eating dates)
Dates are chewy with a sweet flavor. They are also high in some important nutrients and have various advantages and uses.
Dry dates have high calorie than most fresh fruits. They contain some sorts of protein. Despite of this, dates contain some important vitamins and minerals in addition to a significant amount of fiber.They are high in antioxodants. They also contain carbs, fiber, potassium, magnesium, copper, mangnese, iron and vitamin B6.
Dates contain almost 7 grams of fiber, which if included in diet is great way to increase fiber intake. Fiber in the dates is beneficial for our digestive health because it prevents constipation. It also controls our blood sugar level.
Promotes Brain Health
Dates are helpful for lowering inflammatory markers. Such as interleukin 6 in the brain. High level of IL-6 are associated with a higher risk of neurodegenerative diseases like Alzeimer.
Promote Natural Labor
Dates have potential to promote and ease late term labor in pregnant women. Eating dates regularly during the last week’s of pregnancy can promote cervical dilation and lowers the need for induced labor. They are also helpful in reducing labor time. This is because of the compounds that bind to oxytocin receptors. Oxytocin is a hormone that causes labor contractions during childbirth. Dates help in regulating contractions because of the presence of tannins.
Strengthen Bones and controls Blood sugar level
Dates contain minerals including phosphorus, potassium, and magnesium. All of these are helpful in strengthening our bones. Also, they have low glycemic index, fiber and antioxidants, thus, regulates blood sugar level.
Beneficial for Skin and Hairs
(benefits of dates for skin)
Dates are also very beneficial for our skin and hairs. Dates helps in making our skin glowing, shiny, keeps it moisturized by fulfilling the lack of required nutrients needed by our skin. Dates if consumed with milk stops hair fall, thus, healthy for our hairs also.
Benefits of Kalmi Dates:-
Kalmi Dates are rich source of Vitamin B6, A and K. They are high in potassium content. Thus, they help in increasing our eye-sight, promote muscle development, regulate blood sugar level, lowers cholesterol. They also help in promoting brain health, prevent bone related conditions. Due to the presence of such vitamins and minerals, they are also good for pregnant women.
Dry Dates with Milk:-
– Dry Dates if consumed with milk can help in gaining weight and cures various health related diseases.
– It helps in controlling blood sugar levels, thus, can be beneficial for diabetic patients.
– It helps in strengthening our bones as they are rich source of calcium, magnesium and potassium which all are needed by our bones to remain healthy.
– They help in boosting enzymes that removed the problem of constipation, thus, maintains digestion by regulating our digestive system properly.
Dates with Honey:-
Dates if consumed with honey can help in preventing from various hazards that could affect our body badly.
– It prevents cell damage. When combined together, they produce antioxodants, which helps our body to prevent cell damage.
– This is very healthy combination for the people dealing with the problem of hypertension. It will help in reducing blood pressure, thus, reduces the risk of stroke. It also boosts brain health.
– Consuming Dates with Honey can help in gaining weight naturally and makes our body healthy.
– Honey in itself is beneficial for skin. If combined with dates, they are great source of various vitamins and minerals which helps in making our skin glowing, shiny and moisturized. Thus, is healthy for our skin.
– Dates with honey are helpful in preventing us from Night Blindness.
– Dates contains good amount of fiber, and if consumed with honey, can help in preventing us from constipation naturally.
– It is so helpful in maintaing the health of nervous system as it is a great source of potassium. Vitamin contents also help in improving speed and alertness of our brain, thus, increases brain health.
Seedless or deseeded dates are wonderful for our health. They are rich in Vitamins A1, B1, B2, B3 and B5. They also contain dietary fiber which is needed by our body in fixed proportion to remain healthy.
– Due to the presence of vitamin A1, seedless dates are helpful for maintaining the glow of our skin, makes our teeth strong, helps forming in skeletol and soft tissues, mucus membranes etc.
– Vitamin B1 plays an important in preventing our body cells to get damaged. They help our cells to change carbohydrates into energy. Thus, boosts energy level of our body.
– Vitamin B2 helps in increasing the level of Red Blood Cells in our body and also are important source for the growth of our body.
– Vitamin B3 has an important role in keeping our nervous system healthy to work properly. They also play an important in metabolizing fats and proteins.
– Vitamin B5 regulates the work of our kidney. They also produce sex and stress related hormones in adrenal glands, thus, helps in regulating the proper functioning of adrenal gland.
– Dietary fiber is helpful in increasing weight, reducing the chances of constipation, and helpful in maintaining bowel health.
Eating too much dates without being concerned about our diet, our body type, can lead to some medical issues. We should have dates in our diet in a fixed proportion, just what is needed by our body, not more not less than that.
– Eating too much dates can cause increase in blood sugar level, more prone to diabetes, because of the presence of sugar content.
– Dates can also be the reason for our obesity due to the presence of sugar and various vitamins and minerals which increases body fat.
– Dates are heavy in nature and take time to digest, thus, can cause stomach problems like bloating, gas, etc.
– Dates increases our bowel movements, so, if one is suffering from diarrhea, he/she must avoid eating dates.
– Eating too much dates can also cause skin rashes, thus, makes our skin unfit.
– Dry dates also contains Sulfites, that sometimes, triggers our allergies, thus, would be problematic if eaten without taking care of this.
– Due to the presence of sulfites, it can be harmful for the people having Asthma, as Sulfites exaggerate the symptoms of weezing.
Frequently asked questions:-
1. What are the vitamins and minerals that are found in dates?
Ans- Dates contain Vitamin A, B and K. They also contain dietary fiber, potassium, magnesium, copper, iron, protein, sugar, fiber, etc in a fixed proportion.
2. Which type of dates is most famous and best?
Ans- Medjool Dates, generally cultivated in the regions of Saudi Arabia, Palestine, Jordan etc. are most common type of dates and are considered to be the best type of dates.
3. What are the benefits of Dates?
Ans- Dates are helpful in preventing constipation, promote natural labor, makes our skin healthy and moisturized, regulates the proper functioning of nervous system, kidney, helpful in body growth, prevents cell damage and so on.
4. Which country is the leading producer of Dates?
Ans- According to the Census of 2019, Egypt is the leading producer of Dates with about 1,603,762 tonnes of the total production annually.
5. What are the geographical conditions for the cultivation of Dates?
Ans- Dates are generally grown well in arid and semi-arid regions, with long and hot summers, no rainfall and low humidity during ripening period. They are generally grown in the regions of Northern Africa, middle East, Sauth Asia and UAE.
6. What are the side effects of dates?
Ans- Eating too much dates can increase our body fat, thus, can make us obese, is more prone to diabetes due to the presence of high sugar content, can cause skin rashes, can be harmful for asthma patients, can cause stomach problems like bloating and gas.